Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Start

Allright, here we go: My first post on my Archiblog. This is a Blog dedicated to my graduation project. Here's a short explanation of the project. I started in february 2005 with a research into the Virtual and Actual sides of Berlin, in particular about something called the Berlin Backbone. This is a large network created (originally) by squatted artist houses (like Tacheles, or Bootlab), using Wireless internet techniques. My research was focussed on looking for the actual influence of this network on the city and vice versa. This was presented in an essay and in maps, which you can read here. Based on this research I started the design at a site in berlin, which is a peninsula called Lohmühleninsel. It is surrounded by the Spree river (near the Badeschiff) and two smaller canals, the Flutgraben (with the infamous Club der Visionare and the Kunstfabrik) and the LandwehrCanal. The building will have a mixed function. It's main program is based both on my research into the Backbone (an actual headquarter with artist studio's and a mediatheque) and on a social and urban site analysis (a "cultural playspace" which connects the neighborhoods of Treptow and Kreuzberg, in specific the Wrangelkiez).

No comments: